Good TEXT and Good MUSIC:
1. good message (of the Gospel, God’s grace, what God did/does for us, God’s promises, God’s Word)
2. clear communication of the message
3. good tune that is singable and supports and enhances the text
4. appropriate style that supports the text and is appropriate for church
5. appropriate performance that supports the text and doesn’t distract or detract from the message
examples of songs with problems with the Text or Music:
Many CCM songs have clear communication (2),
but lack a good message (1).
Some CW hymns have a good message (1),
but use confusing and difficult language with their inverted word order (2).
Many songs can have a good text (1 and 2) and melody (3) and style (4),
but have a bad performance which can detract from the message (5). The song might be played too slow or too fast, too loud or too soft, with a bad mix (the bass drum too loud or the singers too soft), or with the wrong instruments (distortion electric guitar, heavy metal, hard rock) — any of these can distract or detract from the message (5).
Many songs can have a good text (1 and 2) and melody (3), but use a style which is inappropriate for church or for carrying the message, such as hard rock or heavy metal (4,5).